murray,

whatever you do, do NOT be talked into starting physical therapy and/or
exercise for at least a full week, or before the pain has MUCH subsided!!
 take it from another one who's been-there-done-that.  if the disc is
not extruded (broken thru its ligament -- in which case you may have
to take the surgical route anyway), then just sit easy and wait it out.
 i know it's hard to believe, but time and prudence really do the initial,
main healing.

then knock yourself out -- swimming's terrific and physiotherapy is always
a plus.  work on your stomach muscles, they compensate best for a bad
back.  and STAY AWAY FROM CHIROPRACTORS!!

ariela

p.s.
your posts are absolutely terrific!  get well fast and get back on the
ball!!

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com