This article seems to fit in with the discussiiions on employment. It's
promising to read that a businesss community is addressing some of these
issues.
Also for good information on workplace accomodations , see
Job Accommodation Network,
U.S. DOL Office of Disability Employment Policy
 http://www.jan.wvu.edu
and specifically on Accommodating People With Parkinson's Disease
http://www.jan.wvu.edu/media/PD.html

ARTICLE:
Coping with chronic illness in the workplace - The  Business Journal of
Tampa Bay -
October 15, 2001
 http://tampabay.bcentral.com/tampabay/stories/2001/10/15/editorial3.html

Opinion
From the October 12, 2001 print edition
Guest Column
Coping with chronic illness in the workplace
Kim Scheeler

"Chronic illness lies at the heart of our nation's health care crisis.
People with chronic illness are America's most costly and fastest growing
group
of patients. As a consequence, long-term chronic medical conditions such
as
asthma, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and many others have
increased.
This affects virtually every family, workplace and community in America.
It
causes stress, economic distress, loss of productivity and other
hardships.

The Tampa business community has increasing numbers of employees with
chronic
health conditions and employees who are caring for family members with
chronic
health conditions. The combined impact of those affected by chronic
illness
takes its toll on business and strains relationships between employees,
managers
and human resources professionals.

Most people with chronic illness want to be as independent and productive
as
possible but may need support from their government, their employer and
their
community to achieve that goal.
How should the Tampa business community accommodate working chronically
ill
employees and working caregivers?

While we may know how to manage most chronic illness through
preventative,
medical and behavioral measures, how should we manage workers who must
make the
choice between caring for a loved one, addressing their own health care
needs as
a result of chronic illness and fulfilling their professional
obligations?
On Oct. 18, the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce and WEDU Channel 3 will
host
the first-ever business round-table event to discuss the impact of
chronic
illness and caregiving on the workplace.

This program is supported by WEDU Channel 3 and Elsie Garner, its senior
vice
president and chief operating officer.

Using the upcoming Fred Friendly Seminars program Who Cares: Chronic
Illness in
America, airing on WEDU at 9 p.m. on Oct. 25 as a catalyst, members of
the
Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce will consider the current and potential
impact
of chronic illness on the workplace and explore ways to better support
working
people with chronic conditions and those who care for and about them.
We urge you to help us continue this dialogue.

The private sector must work together to tackle issues relating to
chronic
illness in the workplace. The time has come to find new solutions.
During the next 20 years, the number of Americans with chronic conditions
is
expected to increase from 125 million to 157 million.
Direct medical costs from chronic care will double to more than $1
trillion --
80 percent of our nation's health-care spending.

Businesses and communities must act now.
We need to educate our managers and human resources professionals about
how to
create policies and practices that allow employees to balance their own
chronic
health care management and caregiving responsibilities with work and
other
important aspects of their lives."
Kim Scheeler is president and chief executive officer of the Greater
Tampa
Chamber of Commerce.