 Robin Ratliff wrote:

> > My father (70 years old) was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's.  The
> > neurologist prescribed Mirapex in slowly increasing dosages, however,
his
> > nutritionist  wants to  treat his Parkinson's "nutritionally",  Can
> > Parkinson's be treated effectively nutritionally?  And how?

As a retired Registered Dietitian and retired professor of human nutrition,
I have to echo everything Kathrynne Holden wrote regarding reliance on the
advice of a "nutritionist" to treat Parkinsons Disease. I realize there are
botanicals and chemicals available that have a palliative effect on some of
the symptoms of PD. In fact, with our doctor's blessing, we are using
Melatonin to help my husband sleep at night. We are, however, using it in
the only way it is able to be at all effective. Because melatonin is a
chemical that helps to set one's circadian rhythm, he takes it at 6:00 PM.
Our doctor tells us that recent research indicates the importance of
timing. And it is important to be diligent in taking it at the scheduled
time, and in the correct dose titrated for this individual patient. It
seems to help, even if it may be just a placebo effect.

I mention this personal information because it illustrates the points that
need to be considered when heading out on what could be a risky treatment
protocol.

1. Can you be sure the product does contain what it claims, and that the
amount is standardized. There is a lot of evidence available that products
sold as health foods and "Nutrients" are too often guilty of these
failures. These products are not subject to the federal regulation that
apply to prescription drugs. There are reliable nutritionals available.
Research the active ingredient in reliable reference sources.

2. Do you know what amount is appropriate for your individual patient? Can
you rely on the say-so of a "nutritionist"? Since anyone can claim to be a
nutritionist do you know what that person's qualifications are? Taking a
course or two in elementary nutrition is akin to graduating from
kindergarten on the road to understanding the complexities of human
biochemistry.

3. Is the "nutritionist" selling these suggested products?  If so, Caveat
emptor!

It is an individual's decision what path to take when considering alternate
therapies to treat PD symptoms. It should not be a matter of deciding
whether to take the advice of a nutritionist or a doctor. The doctor should
come first and unlicensed adjunct professionals' advice and recommendations
should be discussed with the doctor. Each Parkinson patient is different in
symptoms and reaction to medications. Variables like body weight and
composition, diet, timing of meals and medications, stressful situations,
etc. make big differences in reaction to medications and alternates. I can
vouch for that, alas.

Martha Rohrer (Caregiver for Neal, 81/dx 1985)
mrohrerix.netcom.com