Phil,
    I agree with you. A few year ago I was not able to go up
a flight of stairs in my home without my left foot catching
itself on a step,usually near the top when my legs were tired.
At the top of the stairs there was a wall awaiting my head
to crash into. 9 out of 10 times I had time to get my hands up to
break the fall but that 10th time was a real bang up. It kept me in
stitches.
     What I did to deal with the falling was to strap  a 3-5
strap weight onto my left ankle and back up and down and up and down
the stairs I went until a few months had passed and my left leg
was able to pick itself up, It worked because in the beginning
my brain called on more muscle to be used to carry the new weight.
The brain was somewhat tricked by something new and unusual. My
determination didn't hurt either.
     Another example was following my 1st Pallidotomy when I was able to
walk somewhat. My quads were very week so I strapped on 3 lb weights and
went walking.....backwards.... which not only helped me build strength in
the quads but also helped with my balance. The size of the weight should be
minimal. It's the repetitions that really count.

    By the by there are weighted eating utensils that are based on the same
principal.

   Best of luck..........george