My neurologist and I decided that I would cut back to 80% of full-time at my
job because of disease progression. She has documented this as a
recommendation, which I will take to my human resources manager to initiate
the process of cutting hours. From the point at which I declare partial
disability, I need to wait 6 months until the disability insurance plan
kicks in. Fortunately, I have accumulated a lot of PTO (paid time off)
hours, so will use that as a resource to maintain my income level. Six
months from now, the disability insurance will pay the difference between
the 80 and 100% of salary at the time of disability--actually, there's a
formula they use, but the net result is that my income stays roughly the
same. By staying at or above 80% of full time, I also retain my health
benefits (and those of my family too). That seems workable for now.

So Linda, I wouldn't say that I am unilaterally choosing to cut back on
hours (referring back to your e-mail from this past weekend). It is being
done more in conjunction with my neurologist's recommendation and support
because I am in fact unable to work a full-time schedule. Oh I could sit at
my desk for the last 3 hours of the day, I think, at least for a while, but
nothing would get done. Although I am not officially (or even unofficially)
disabled, I qualify for disability benefits to maintain my income level
during the period of lessability. My particular insurance plan, which my
employer pays for, actually rewards those who try and are able to gradually
withdraw from working, as opposed to going from full-time employment to
retirement in one swell foop. With PD, this is a very realistic path to
follow, and in fact acknowledges the concept, if not the terminology, of
lessability.

Still, it is a major step. I have to talk to my supervisor and tell him the
situation this week. He knows I have Parkinson's, and probably is more
observant about my performance and health than I realize. I anticipate a
supportive response.

Take care everybody,
Rick
50 years old, dx 1997