"Phil E.Gesotti" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
10/18/2001 09:40 PM
Please respond to Parkinson's Information Exchange Network

        To:     [log in to unmask]
        cc:
        Subject:        External Cues and Freezing

Would anyone like to share their experiences with using external cues to
break freezing or improving movement? I'm curious as to how effective
external cues are at relieving symptoms for list members?

Do spatial patterns on floors help? What about watching someone elses
feet as you walk? How about a metronome or music?

I've experimented with tactile cues and they help me.

Phil Gesotti 52/dx46

Phil,
        I spoke with a pwp at a Parkie seminar a year or so ago.  He came up with
a device to change perceptions when freezing.  It was a 12-15" piece of
lath, painted with diagonal traffic barricade colors, mounted on a pivot
about 8" up from the bottom of his cane.  When he got stuck, he lowered
the bar, stepped over it (change of program for the muscles) and went on
his way.  Some time later,  I had the opportunity to take some
"Feldenkrais" movement training.  Part of this discipline is based on the
idea that Parkinson's erases muscle memory (e.g.: touch typing, etc.)  My
trainer worked with me to choreograph several alternate ways of doing a
variety of things.   Getting out of bed, lying on the floor for
excercises, getting up again,  excercise walking, deliberately creating
facial expressions to replace Parkinson stone face.  I sometimes joke that
I'm stuck at Walden Pond - living life deliberately!

All the best, Geo.