Martha, PD is scary enough, but with ALS, the life expectancy is much
shorter.  I've talked with people in the support group I attend, who have
had PD for 20 or more years and still can function.  They seem to
understand that it only takes a blink of an eyelash to start the downward
spiral, but they are living life to the fullest they can.  I don't have
PD, my love does, and he has just recently been dx'd with MSA.  Best
wishes to you.  Jo Ann from Houston