Hi Larry,
Yes, granted, and the Metrical Gospel of Nicodemus as a verbatim source for
Chester come to that, but what do we mean precisely by 'biblical
narrative', and how would the average York citizen, if we can permit of
such, have received the Bible? Not through any generally available
continuous narrative text, be it in Latin or the vernacular.  The
associative qualities of individual biblical stories for the populace are
as likely to have been calendar-chronological, that is liturgical, as
historical-chronological, which is, broadly, Protestant. And the really
interesting thing about the licensing of Love's book, with its additons
specifically on the Eucharist, is surely its political context.  How much
attention did the northern Province really pay to Arundel's Constitutions?
Was the licensing of Love's work part of an orchestrated return to
orthodoxy?  I think this debate has a function it leads us to interrogate
all generalisations, including (thanks, Cliff) what we imply by 'the Church'.
Pam

At 08:39 AM 11/12/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Pamela--
>
>        You don't have to have a translation of the bible to have access
>to biblical narrative.  Instead, you have something like the Northern
>Passion, which has been shown to have been used by the York playwrights,
>for example.  There are also biblical narratives in texts deriving from
>the Meditations on the Life and Passion of Christ.  Nicholas Love's
>translation was authorized by Arundel in 1410.  There are other vernacular
>biblical accounts available (e.g. Cursor Mundi).
>
>                                        Larry
>
>On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, B.H.Sadler wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Meg, but I'm not so busy as to be un-fascinated by this debate over
>> ideas which I believed had a decent burial some years past.
>> Two questions:-
>> What kind of transmission mechanism is conjectured by those who persist in
>> believing that Latin drama, entirely the preserve of collegiate
>> ecclesiastical communities, wandered into the streets, becoming the
>> property of a compeletly different social constituency, and in a completely
>> different language?
>> Equally, can mystery plays be tru;ly 'biblical' when no-one within the
>> civic structure of the cities from which they emanate had access to a whole
>> Bible?
>> Clearly churchmen were involved in the writing of the mystery play texts
>> which we have (though one should be scrupulous about eliding all the
>> surviving cycle drama as if it were the same; it isn't).  Equally clearly
>> plays on biblical subjects performed on behalf of, by, and for the secular
>> populace drew on their experience of the Bible, most of which came to them
>> through the experience of worship and was, therefore, liturgical. This has,
>> however, no demonstrable connection I know of to so-called 'liturgical
>> drama'.
>> But finally one other question:-
>> Is there one other thriving field of scholarship in literature and drama in
>> which work published fifty years ago and more is still being uncritically
>> promulgated as canonical?
>> Pamela King
>>

>> At 03:28 PM 10/19/01 +0100, you wrote:
>> >And 'developed from the church liturgy' doesn't mean the same as
'liturgical
>> >plays got up and walked out of the church into the marketplace'.  Ask
>> Pamela M.
>> >King who is engaged in a major study on this.  (But don't ask her at this
>> >precise moment,  she's rather busy running Cumbria.)     Meg T.

Ages, but

Drama/