abigail--

        I quite agree with you; indeed, this is pretty much the argument
that I make in my first chapter, "The Theatrum and the Rhetoric of Abuse."
Innocent did not label liturgical representationes as ludi like those of
the ancient theatre; rather, he labelled riotous incursions as ludi
of the theatrum.  My objection to "stage plays" as a translation of ludi
theatrales is that modern readers think of "stage plays" as dramas;
we do not normally think that "stage plays" means games of the ancient
theatrum.

                                        Larry