Ariela:

You go to the heart of the matter with your questions.

#1  The only PROVEN reason to use a Monoamine Oxidase B Inhibitors
(selegiline) is to extend the effect of levodopa.  Using selegiline in
combination with any of the dopamine agonists is not of any proven value.
The likelihood is that rasagiline will turn out to be the same.  MAOB
inhibitors are not known to extend the effect of dopamine agonists, and
there is no theoretical reason why they should.

#2   The use of MAOB inhibitors as FIRST therapy is predicated upon the
SPECULATION that they may be neuroprotective, and somehow delay the
progression of the disease.  In the case of selegiline, this proved to be
wrong in humans with PD.  Given the failure of selegiline in this respect,
there is no reason to expect that rasagiline would be different, but the
drug company is proceding with research in this direction hoping that it
might, and is already beating the drums.

#3   The logic that "any postponement in levodopa start is worth the
trouble" is highly controversial.  It is promulgated primarily by the drug
companies who are trying to sell the dopamine agonists - frightening  PWP
that early use of levodopa causes earlier dyskinesias.  Although many
neurologists agree, the data are based on incomplete and flawed studies
designed to promote the use of the agonists.  The final answer with respect
to this question is yet to come.  In the meantime, some people avoid early
use of levodopa "just in case."

#4   Many of the ANTIdepressants are reuptake inhibitors - some inhibit the
reuptake of catecholamines (including dopamine), others inhibit the reuptake
of serotonin.  The antiparkinsonian drugs (levodopa or the agonists) do not
cause the serotonin syndrome.  With selegiline or rasagiline there may be
some possibility of precipitating the serotonin syndrome when mixed with
other antidepressants, but not with the antiparkinsonian drugs.  This is
unlikely, however, but theoretically possible.

#5  Your observation about the length of studies is very logical.  Indeed,
we should have learned that lesson well from the DATATOP Selegiline study.
The initial data (six month follow-up) was initially interpreted as showing
some neuroprotective effect.  The longer follow-up (five years) showed that
there was no significant difference.

Jorge A. Romero, MD