FROM:
 Drug Week
October 26, 2001 - November 2, 2001
SECTION: EXPANDED REPORTING; Pg. 20

HEADLINE: NEUROLOGY: Neuroimmunophilin Ligand Program Returned To
Guilford
Pharmaceuticals

"   Guilford Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (GLFD), announced that Amgen (AMGN)
has
elected to terminate its agreement with Guilford and return all rights to
the
neuroimmunophilin ligand technology it licensed from Guilford in 1997.

   Neuroimmunophilin ligands are a novel class of drugs developed by
Guilford
that may have the ability to cause nerve growth and repair. In
preclinical
studies conducted in research laboratories, neuroimmunophilin ligands
have
demonstrated promising results suggesting they may have utility in a
broad range
of clinical indications, including Parkinson disease, age-related
cognitive
impairment, and spinal cord injury.

   "We've enjoyed a very productive relationship with Amgen," said Dr.
Craig R.
Smith, Guilford. "Over the course of our collaboration, we've learned a
great
deal about our neuroimmunophilin ligands and are committed to the further
development and commercialization of this technology."

   In July 2001, Guilford reported preliminary results of the first
clinical
evaluation of a neuroimmunophilin ligand, NIL-A, in the treatment of
Parkinson
disease. The clinical trial, which was conducted by Amgen, was a Phase
II,
randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of the safety,
pharmacokinetics and efficacy of NIL-A in patients with mild to moderate
Parkinson disease. The results from this study suggested that NIL-A was
well
tolerated at doses up to 1000 mg taken orally four times a day for six
months,
but did not produce a substantial reversal of the motor symptoms of
Parkinson
disease.

   "The Phase II clinical trial of NIL-A was the first clinical
evaluation of
our neuroimmunophilin ligand technology, and was an important exploratory
study," continued Smith. "Although NIL-A did not meet its primary
endpoint and
produce a significant reversal in the motor symptoms of Parkinson
disease, we
were encouraged that NIL-A was well tolerated. Our evaluation of the
secondary
endpoints in the trial suggested there may have been some benefit for
certain of
the non-motor symptoms of Parkinson disease. However, these results are
preliminary and will require additional study to confirm their
significance.
Furthermore, we've obtained encouraging results with neuroimmunophilin
ligands
in a variety of additional preclinical disease models, suggesting this
technology may have application in a number of other clinical
indications."

   In 1990, scientists led by Dr. Solomon Snyder, director of the
department of
neuroscience at Johns Hopkins Medical School and a cofounder of Guilford,
discovered that certain immunosuppressive drugs were able to induce nerve
growth
in both test tube and animal experiments. After licensing the rights to
this
technology, Guilford scientists designed a series of novel, proprietary
drugs,
called neuroimmunophilin ligands, which possessed potent neurotrophic
activity
but which were not immunosuppressive.

   Since this initial discovery, Guilford's neuroimmunophilin ligands
have
demonstrated neurotrophic activity in a number of animal models of
Parkinson
disease and other acute and chronic neurological diseases and conditions.
Results from some of these studies have been published in The Proceedings
of the
National Academy of Sciences USA and Nature Medicine. Several different
laboratories have now confirmed the neurotrophic activity of
neuroimmunophilin ligands in models of Parkinson disease and peripheral
nerve
damage."