On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:55:07 -0500 Melanie Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
writes, in part :

> Madeline suggested that I write and introduce myself - here goes! .....

( CUT AND CONTINUED:)....

>  I believe what I have learned is that PD is > different> for everyone,

but I would love to "talk" with other people (or their> families) with
similar
symptoms (misery loves company).  I'd love to > have a> better idea
 how long I might expect to be able to function on my > own.

Hi Melanie,

    Hello from New England!  I am in my 17th year of the battle against
 "Young-Onset " PD. I have a helpful hint for you below, after a few
words about
myself....and how I am still doing very well in many  ways.

.  Although I was out of work and feeling uncertain about the future
for quite some time, I am now singing in a local chorus, and applying for
work at a local
Medical School.  The University just  e-mailed me for a resume!
Potentially,
I would be hired as a resource person  for their teaching in the field
of gerontology., part-time.

  I am more energetic , now that I am  religiously observing the
low-protein , high-carbohydrate rules of a PD-friendly
diet.  I will be 52 later this month, have had symptoms
since I was 35,  and I was diagnosed at first at age 37.

  Melanie, like you, I have episodes of lots of muscle pain. Usually
when
this occurs,  often after more-than-usual activity, I need to take just a
little bit more l-dopa (in SInemet
or an equivalent pill), lay down and rest, and take fluids.  That SLIGHT
additional l-dopa (I chew
up about  1/3 of a tablet of  yellow SInemet 25/100, and drink a large
quantity of fresh water to wash it into my system quickly)  can put me
over a fine line, after which the pains disappear completely, the
discomfort vanishes, and I am a totally NEW person!.

So I wonder if you are just slightly undermedicated?  One of
the most difficult things to do is to learn your own body, and
meanwhile, how to smile, be patient., have faith, and keep feeling
positive.  Some people call this an "attitude of gratitude."

Melanie, I applaud you for what you have told us--and I am
here for emotional support for you. Remember, you are a
beautiful person.  Nurture the little, every day
things that make you happy- and keep battling.

Many blessings and welcome to PIEN, our "cyberfamily."

Ivan Suzman
Portland, Maine
51-39-36