Hello All,

My name is Ron and I have been reading the posts for the past month or
so and feel compelled to add my 2 cents worth.  I am my wife's caregiver
and have been for over 20 years.  She was first diagnosed [about age 50]
when we noticed that she was dragging her foot on our daily walks.
Fearing a possible stroke, we were "relieved", at that time, to find
that it was "only" PD.  Our world changed that day, even though we were
unaware of this at the time.  There are several things that we have
learned through our experience.

One is to get to know your enemy and look for ways to defeat him.
Research the web [ go to Google or any other good search engine and
search parkinsons] and join lists like this one.  Find and join a local
support group.  Hopefully you have a good Neuro and he or she will allow
and encourage trying various meds and combinations.  Over the years we
have tried many combinations and the constant surveillance and adjusting
of life style and medications can be frustrating.  No two people react
the same to their medications.  In her case we found that Comtan was a
Magic pill.  She takes a Comtan, 25/100 sinemet and permax 5 times daily
about 4 hours apart.  This has worked very well for the past year.
Recently we find that this is not enough and have to double her dosage
during bad "offs".  We are currently discussing a possible DBS operation
in the near future, because the medication is no longer holding as well
as it has been.   I have to add that she is a very young 70, she often
passes for age 50 or less and this is her only health problem.   For
this, we thank God.

I hope that this short bio may help some one else facing these
problems.  Stay active and don't give in to this thing called PD.