Hi Carol,

You may be taking too much sinemet. Nancy is taking 7
sinemet with 3 permax, 4 comtan and 4 amantadine.

If she sticks to a very rigid schedule she seems to do ok.
She did have the pallidotomy surgery on both sides and this
eliminated the dyskinesia. But she did get both sides done
to do accomplish that. Doing only one side helped only one
side, the other side was still awful. This was done in 1995.
I think now they would recommend DBS/STN on the other side
and not palidotomy.

Nancy's schedule is:

7:00 am pemax, amantadine, sinemet
9:00 am pemax, amantadine, sinemet, comtan
11:30 am amantadine, sinemet, comtan
2:00 pm permax, amantadine, sinemet, comtan
4:30 pm sinemt, comtan
7:00 pm sinemet
9:00 pm sinemet

She alternates sinemet 10/100 and 25/100. generally the
25/100 are non-meal time and the 10/100 are meal time.

We use a timer pill box to keep it all straight. With out
the timer it is very difficult to stay on schedule. There
are times when she experiences freezing and alters the
schedule but this seems to cause problems with balance,
clear thinking, and just difficult to manage. Sitting
through the end of dose freezing and waiting till the
scheduled time seems to work best. When she can't sit and
wait it out, taking the pill and the related consequences is
sometimes the better choice.

Night time usually involves 1-3 sinemet cr and this has
allowed her to sleep most of the night.
She also takes clozaril in the evening

Bob Martone
http://www.samlink.com/~bmartone