This is an e-mail reported to be from a young ensign  aboard USS Winston
Churchill (DDG-81) to his parents.  (Churchill is an Arleigh Burke class
AEGIS guided  missile destroyer, commissioned March 10, 2001, and is  the
only active US Navy warship named after a foreign  national.)  Dear Dad,  We
are still at sea. The remainder of our port visits  have all been canceled.
We have spent every day since  the attacks going back and forth within
imaginary boxes  drawn in the ocean, standing high-security watches, and
trying to make the best of it. We have seen the  articles and the
photographs, and they are sickening.  Being isolated, I don't think we
appreciate the full  scope of what is happening back home, but we are
definitely feeling the effects.  About two hours ago, we were hailed by a
German Navy  destroyer, Lutjens, requesting permission to pass close  by our
port side. Strange, since we're in the middle of an empty ocean, but the
captain  acquiesced and we prepared to render them honors from  our bridge
wing. As they were making their approach, our conning officer used
binoculars and  announced that Lutjens was flying not the German, but  the
American flag.  As she came alongside us, we saw the American flag  flying
half-mast and her entire crew topside standing at  silent, rigid attention
in their dress uniforms. They had made a sign that was displayed on her side
that  read, "We Stand By You."  There was not a dry eye on the bridge as
they stayed  alongside us for a few minutes and saluted. It was the  most
powerful thing I have seen in my life. The German  Navy did an incredible
thing for this crew, and it has  truly been the highest point in the days
since the  attacks. It's amazing to think that only half-century  ago things
were quite different . . .

Michel Margosis
7442 Spring Village Drive, # 224
Springfield,  VA.  22150-4444