Kathy-
I feel I can identify with you in that I am also a 48 year old female who
has had PD for 18 years.  I have also had the DBS/STN surgery May of 1999
and now have a second chance with this disease.  I would just say to never
give up hope!  Some days are better than others; being rested and stress
free is wonderful therapy.  I've been hearing "a cure in 10 years" for most
of my walk with PD and it looks like they're at about the same stage.
However, there are some areas that hold such promise, though, and they are
looking into more possibilities every day.  It is a neurological area that
is finally getting some major research funding and attention, so we must
keep up the faith!  It WILL happen and we must use our youth to our
advantage!  We have survived this long with PD and we can make it into our
ripe old age.  We just need to look to the advances being made, keep
informed, and be there ready to move with your medical team! There are some
days/nights I cuss the derned ol' Parkie, but it just makes me more
determined to beat him!  We WILL make it!
Carole C.