Dr. Bob, et al....as I got into the massage websites, I
noticed that there were other types of massage...Reiki, Feldenkraus, etc....what
types are beneficial for PD??? Thanks ...Joan

----- Original Message -----

From: Robert A. Fink, M.
D.

To: [log in to unmask]

Sent: 11/27/01 5:01:25 PM

Subject: Re: MASSAGE THERAPY

Date
sent:              Tue,
27 Nov 2001 11:39:37 -0600

Send reply
to:          Parkinson's
Information Exchange Network  [log in to unmask]

From:
George Docken  [log in to unmask]

Subject:                Re:
MASSAGE THERAPY

To:

  a "massage thumper" is an electric vibrating device equipt with

  rubber pads of several densities.  Consumer versions are
available at

  discount stores (or possibly on-line).

I would like to caution against the "thumpers".  If someone has a
deep

venous thrombosis (blood clot) in a leg, those "thumpers" can break

clots loose and such can travel to the lungs with disastrous results.

Many times the thromboses are symptom-free (painless).

Massage (the ordinary human hand kind) is excellent and I recommend

it highly.  It should, however, only be administered by a
properly

trained person.

Best,

Bob