Brownback clone ban gets frosty reception
By Alan Bjerga
Eagle Washington bureau

WASHINGTON -- Snubbed and shut out from Senate debate
Tuesday by Majority Leader Tom Daschle, Sen. Sam Brownback
continued his battle to ban human cloning.

"I'd like to ask a question of the majority leader before he goes,"
Brownback said to Daschle's back as the South Dakota Democrat
walked off the Senate floor -- without acknowledging Brownback's
repeated attempts to bring up legislation banning human cloning.

In morning debate, Daschle discussed economic stimulus and
energy policy for more than an hour with other senators while
Brownback stood at his lectern, unable to gain recognition to
speak.

Later in the day Daschle said he didn't expect the Senate to
consider any anti-cloning legislation this year.

"We ought not to rush into any decision at this point,"
said Daschle, citing economic stimulus and the farm bill as more
pressing issues for the Senate to take up before Christmas.

Despite the cold reception from the man who sets the Senate's
agenda, Brownback vowed to press on. His spokesman,
Erik Hotmire, repeated the senator's threat to shut down the Senate
if that's what it takes to ban human cloning.

"We haven't decided anything," Hotmire said. "But if one senator
cares enough about something, rules and procedures can be
utilized to make sure the Senate considers it."

Brownback called for an immediate congressional ban on human
cloning Monday after a Massachusetts research company
announced Sunday that it had successfully cloned human embryos.

Brownback sponsored his own anti-cloning bill last spring but now
backs a House bill passed last July.

By passing the House's bill, the Senate can get an anti-cloning bill
to President Bush's desk more quickly. Bush said he would support
the House bill.

But that bill faces significant obstacles in the Senate, and Daschle
is only one of them.

After Daschle left the floor, Brownback tried to introduce the House
anti-cloning bill under a Senate rule that allows a senator to bypass
the majority leader and introduce a bill if the senator has unanimous
consent to do so.

But Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., quashed Brownback's effort. Reid
and Sens. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and Arlen Specter, R-Penn.,
were the only other senators on the floor at the time. All had come
to oppose Brownback.

"I understand the sincerity of the senator from Kansas," Reid said.
"But this is an issue people feel strongly about on the other side."

Much of the scientific community, as well as numerous senators,
see research into cloned embryos as a key part of stem cell research,
which promises medical breakthroughs in treating diseases such as
Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and diabetes.

Reid, alluding to the divisive abortion debate that echoes through
issues such as stem cell research and human cloning, said the
Senate needs more time to debate cloning. He said an agreement
Brownback made before Sunday's cloning announcement to hold
off anti-cloning legislation until March is the right pace for
discussion.

"This can be done next year," he said.

Addressing Reid's concern, Brownback said he'd be willing to
accept a three- or six-month moratorium on research into human
cloning to allow more debate.

But he insisted that immediate action is necessary; the rapid pace
of cloning research could make debate inconsequential if a cloned
baby arrives while the Senate talks.

Let's stop this now, before the horse is out of the barn," he said.

Daschle told reporters later Tuesday that he doesn't support a
cloning moratorium and does not intend to let Brownback introduce
anti-cloning legislation this year, although he would be willing to
do so next year.

"We are adamantly opposed to human cloning, but we are not
opposed to (research) that will allow us to cure diseases," he said.
"A six-month delay will not save lives and could extend
unnecessarily the search for a cure."

Brownback spent Tuesday meeting with other congressional
leaders to consider what actions to take to force cloning on the
Senate agenda. Hotmire said that while Brownback doesn't relish
creating a congressional logjam while other important legislation
is pending, he's prepared to do so.

"Now the heavy lifting begins," Hotmire said.

Reach Alan Bjerga at (202) 383-6055 or [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: The Wichita Eagle
http://web.wichitaeagle.com/content/wichitaeagle/2001/11/28/nationworld/1128brownback_txt.htm

* * *