Date: Mon,  3 Dec 2001 21:16:00 CST
From: "Percival@Connections" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MOOs Around the Net Visits Achieve!

MOOs Around the Net Presents:

A Visit to Project Achieve's MOO

Thursday, December 6
9:00 p.m. EST
Project Achieve
http://achieve.utoronto.ca
See below for detailed instructions!

-----
MOOs Around the Net is a collaboration between the Netoric Project
and TechRhet.  Every few weeks, during either Tuesday Cafe time or
TechRhet time, we visit another MOO as guests, spending some time
touring and conversing with members of the MOO's community.
Netoric's Tari Fanderclai, [log in to unmask], and TechRhet's John
Walter, [log in to unmask], coordinate MOOs Around the Net, and
would be happy to hear from you if you have a MOO to invite us to,
or want to suggest a MOO we should ask to visit!
-----

Thanks to Rhonna Robbins-Sponaas, a member of the Achieve Educational
Steering Committee, MOOs Around the Net is invited to a tour and
discussion at Project Achieve's MOO this Thursday at 9:00 p.m. EST.

Below is Rhonna's introduction to Project Achieve and her instructions
to help you get connected.  Please take some time before Thursday's
session to explore the information she provides, to have a look at
Achieve's Web site, and to try connecting as a guest in order to ensure
that you'll be able to connect for the session.  (If you have any
difficulty connecting, please try asking Tari or John for help before
contacting Achieve members--we'd like to try to help you before we ask
for even more of our hosts' time!)

See you on Thursday!

John and Tari

---------------

From Rhonna Robbins-Sponaas, Achieve Educational Steering Committee
---

Project Achieve was born a little over 2.5 years ago as a research
project, its first lusty cries nursed into being by Dr. Jason Nolan.
As a result of both the research intent and the funding the project
was fortunate enough to receive, Achieve's original focus was on the
Canadian community.   Achieve was a collaboration between Jason and
officials at Canada's Schoolnet who were looking to promote
pedagogically focused collaborative virtual opportunities for Canadian
youth. While those relationships have changed--the original purpose of
the MOO has been met--Achieve has grown; it now hosts an international
community of educators and learners.  It was also very much a
project-oriented MOO; all members were actively involved in a project
or class, which means that we have a rather eclectic topography.

Achieve is a web-based MOO that uses the enCoreXpress GUI, and a
core developed by Leigh Casey (Hunter on BayMOO, e_moo and others) in
conjunction with Mathew Beerman (Traveller).  In part because of that
early funding, Achieve was blessed with an unusual opportunity to
attract talented programmers and coders, and Jason put them to work.
They are responsible for a number of enhancements to the Encore
project, including VASE (the virtual assignment server environment),
file management utilities, and various fixes.  You'll see differences
in appearance and handling from the moment you log in--our guest
characters are, um, a bit liberated.  :-)  As guests, you'll actually
be able to create objects--including experimenting with some of the
objects that are unique to Achieve.  In other words, you can play.  :-)

Many of the commands are the same as you'd find in most other MOOs
(look, "/say, '/page, etc.), but we do have basic command information
located within our "INSTRUCTOR'S HINTS, TIPS, CHEATS, and GUIDELINES"
page (a.k.a. THE TEACHER'S PAGE).  That page is mandatory reading for
any instructor wishing to bring a class online, and gives a bit of
everything from Achieve history to process and requirements.  You may
find it helpful to browse through it; it'll give you a good sense of
how we work, and an introduction to who we are.  Point your browser to:
http://achieve.utoronto.ca/achieve/media/256/Teacher-policy.html#Handouts
or click on the "Teacher Help" link on the login page.

You can access Achieve by pointing your browser to the splash page at:
http://achieve.utoronto.ca/
and click on the "Project Achieve" logo, or go directly to the login page
at:
http://achieve.utoronto.ca:2221/
Do browse the blog at the bottom of the page, and the links in the upper
half of the page.

For information on VASE, visit http://achieve.utoronto.ca/vase

We strongly encourage you to log in via the web and check out the
interface--Achieve is very much GUI oriented and our interface *is* a bit
different; we're far from a standard enCore MOO--but for those of you who
absolutely refuse to web (or can't), you can gain text access at:
achieve.utoronto.ca:2222

Netoric_Announcements is the announcements-only list for Netoric Project
news.  If you want to join the list or be removed from it, simply email