Hello, Karen:

I'm glad you're undertaking this study. And I hope the right people read
it. The Ontario Ministry has laid a real challenge on all of us by saying
that students need to study examples of actual "destination" writing. I've
just spent the day myself showing such samples to distinctly
surprised-looking groups of university-bound secondary students. It was
good to see that their teachers were also interested and piqued. I only
showed the samples on overhead. Creating a bank of actual samples for
circulation is a worthy goal, especially if there are lots of pieces, not
just a few to be turned into formulas.

The University of California system created such a set of exemplars a few
years ago for their "Subject A" writing requirement. Their samples and
accompanying comments made an excellent way to understand the types of
writing required and the measures used. They were especially well chosen to
indicate a range of ESL and non-ESL writers, and to demonstrate that
coherence and quality of reasoning were the prime requisites. If you can't
find a current set of these exemplars, I could dig out my old files and
send you a copy. I collected these in preparing my report on post-admission
assessment, now long outdated but still on the web at
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/reportw.html.

About references, my first suggestion would be to go to Edward White, whose
books on writing assessment are always worth reading, though he argues a
bit too hard (for my taste) that the timed essay is a valid measure of
postsecondary expectations. His most inclusive book is Teaching and
Assessing Writing (Jossey-Bass, 1994), and his most recent is Assessment of
Writing: Politics, Policies, Practices (MLA 1996). These aren't the most
recent things, but they're sound.

My other suggestion is to contact Alister Cumming of OISE/UT
([log in to unmask]), an expert on assessment and instruction for
postsecondary ESL. He could probably name some recent references right off
(e.g. similar studies that have been done for ETS to re-validate their
TOEFL test), and might advise you on research methods too.

Please keep us updated on this project.

All the best,

Margaret Procter
U of T Coordinator, Writing Support