Hi Inkshedders,

I'm really out of the research loop these days, so I'm hoping some of you folks can suggest sources for recent composition research on the assessment of writing skills at the secondary and college level.

The kind of research I'm looking for would be similar to that discussed in Cooper and Odell's Evaluating Writing: Describing, Measuring Judging.

I need this info for a collaborative project between Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology and Secondary schools I'm considering participating in. The project will look at identiifying first-year writing requirements for Colleges and relating those requirements to Secondary School writing descriptors.

According to the sponsors, the project would, among other things,

-provide an inventory, analysis, and description of existing writing assignments and practices in Ontario colleges and in secondary schools,

-provide a set of writing exemplars and descriptors using scales and anchor papers, including those for ESL

Thanks in advance for any input ( articles, books, names of researchers I could contact) you can give me.

Karen

Karen Golets Pancer
Professor, Communications Department
Liberal Arts and Sciences Division
Humber College of Applied Arts and Technology
205 Humber College Boulevard
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M9W 5L7
(416) 675-6622, ext. 4522