Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:16:44 -0500
From: Charleen Chu <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: mistakes-take a look

--------------284C819D9E24A19D9D8268B8

Ms. Brown,
Your original emails were very moving as they were straight from your
heart.  I have minimized the changes, but incorporated some of the
messages you wanted included.  I am satisfied with the following.  If it
looks ok to you, I will send it on to Dr. Maestrone.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
Charleen

APDA Grant Re-unites Teacher and Student

It is not often that one has the opportunity to give back inspiration to
a dedicated, caring teacher.  An American Parkinson=92s Disease
Association grant recently enabled me to do just that.

After two and a half years as a new assistant professor in the
Department of Pathology, Division of Neuropathology, at the University
of Pittsburgh, I had recently achieved two important milestones.  My
first RO1 submission entitled =93Free Radicals and Phosphotyrosine
Signaling in the Parkinsonian 6-OHDA Model,=94 which was based in part
upon preliminary work funded by the APDA, had recently been funded by
NINDS.  Perhaps, more significantly, I was working from home after the
birth of my second child.  During this time, I reflected back upon the
teachers and mentors who had influenced me during my training.  In
particular, I was grateful for the writing skills imparted to me by the
humanities education I received at Phineas Banning High School, in
Wilmington, CA.  It was this solid foundation that supported my future
mind-expanding courtships with biology, neuroscience, cell signaling,
and pathophysiology of disease at Harvard and Duke Universities.

When I called Dr. Maestrone to notify him of the new NIH grant, he
indicated that he had just received an inquiry about me from Ms. Rayilyn
Brown, who had noticed my name on the Parkinson=92s Alliance website
grants list.  Ms. Brown had been my advanced placement history teacher
at Banning High School.  A pair of letters written during my freshman
year in college had been our last contact.

While it is immensely gratifying to realize that one=92s academic work may
have deep meaning to someone outside the =93ivory tower,=94 Ms. Brown=92s ow=
words as excerpted from her emails tell the story better. Her courage
and spirit are further exemplified as she has allowed me to retain the
typographical errors and as she puts it, "absence of paragraph
organization=94 to =93show what PD does to a once productive person.=94

March 9, 2001
Charleen, how thrilled I am to know that that Charleen Chu was you!  I'm
shaking so hard I can baarely ytpee, it's the parkinsonss=85 My pride has
no bounds=85

I just knew you would be doing something great like this.  Especially,
since this disease has taken my "Life."  After I survived ovarian
cancer, I thought I was home free.  Had it [Parkinson=92s] about 5 yrs.
Last yr triedd all the agonists and ER Sinemet, [but] Tthe dystonia in
my toes got so bad I could barely walk=85  For last 2 yrs [I=92ve been
treadmilling and dancing to old 1920=92s music, and swimming/exercising
every day]=85 Don't know how muhc this has helpedk,but I feeel I must keep
mooving=85

I know you are busy, but it brings tears to my eyes to know what you are
doing now.  Good luck doesn't quite ccover my joy!  If ANYONE can make a
diffference, you can.  JUSt kknowing YOU are working on it, haas given
me new hope.  Love, LOve, Rayilyn Brown . . . more later

April 12, 2001
Charleen, just printed 8 and a half by 11 of Nadine and Kevin.  Just
beautiful!  I brag about you to all my email friends on my Parkinson=92s
Information Exchange List, saying that, =93Charleen Chu was the kind of
student who could make ANY teacher look good.=94

Hope you are feeling better, I reread your email with pix=85 Had trouble
with other web pages, very hard for me to type with bad hands.  Dare I
try to get your publications?  Since my right brain is affected (bad
left side tremor), hope my left brain is still functioning as I would
really like to learn about all this. I still want to learn =85
Your student now, MIss Brown

--
Charleen T. Chu, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology

--------------284C819D9E24A19D9D8268B8

Ms. Brown,
heart.&nbsp; I have minimized the changes, but incorporated some of the
messages you wanted included.&nbsp; I am satisfied with the following.&nbsp;
If it looks ok to you, I will send it on to Dr. Maestrone.
to a dedicated, caring teacher.&nbsp; An American Parkinson=92s Disease Asso=
ciation
grant recently enabled me to do just that.
of Pathology, Division of Neuropathology, at the University of Pittsburgh,
I had recently achieved two important milestones.&nbsp; My first RO1 submiss=
ion
entitled =93Free Radicals and Phosphotyrosine Signaling in the Parkinsonian
6-OHDA Model,=94 which was based in part upon preliminary work funded by
the APDA, had recently been funded by NINDS.&nbsp; Perhaps, more significant=
ly,
I was working from home after the birth of my second child.&nbsp; During
this time, I reflected back upon the teachers and mentors who had influenced
me during my training.&nbsp; In particular, I was grateful for the writing
skills imparted to me by the humanities education I received at Phineas
Banning High School, in Wilmington, CA.&nbsp; It was this solid foundation
that supported my future mind-expanding courtships with biology, neuroscienc=
e,
cell signaling, and pathophysiology of disease at Harvard and Duke Universit=
ies.
ted
that he had just received an inquiry about me from Ms. Rayilyn Brown, who
had noticed my name on the Parkinson=92s Alliance website grants list.&nbsp;
Ms. Brown had been my advanced placement history teacher at Banning High
School.&nbsp; A pair of letters written during my freshman year in college
had been our last contact.
may have deep meaning to someone outside the =93ivory tower,=94 Ms. Brown=
=92s
own words as excerpted from her emails tell the story better. Her courage
;
I'm shaking so hard I can baarely ytpee, it's the parkinsonss=85 My pride
has no bounds=85
y,
since this disease has taken my "Life."&nbsp; After I survived ovarian
cancer, I thought I was home free.&nbsp; Had it [Parkinson=92s] about 5 yrs.=
&nbsp;
Last yr triedd all the agonists and ER Sinemet, [but] Tthe dystonia in
my toes got so bad I could barely walk=85&nbsp; For last 2 yrs [I=92ve been
treadmilling and dancing to old 1920=92s music, and swimming/exercising ever=
day]=85 Don't know how muhc this has helpedk,but I feeel I must keep mooving=
=85
are doing now.&nbsp; Good luck doesn't quite ccover my joy!&nbsp; If ANYONE
can make a diffference, you can.&nbsp; JUSt kknowing YOU are working on
it, haas given me new hope.&nbsp; Love, LOve, Rayilyn Brown . . . more
later
Just beautiful!&nbsp; I brag about you to all my email friends on my Parkins=
on=92s
Information Exchange List, saying that, =93Charleen Chu was the kind of stud=
ent
who could make ANY teacher look good.=94
with other web pages, very hard for me to type with bad hands.&nbsp; Dare
I try to get your publications?&nbsp; Since my right brain is affected
(bad left side tremor), hope my left brain is still functioning as I would
really like to learn about all this. I still want to learn =85
t></font>&nbsp;</blockquote>
--
c.edu/people/faculty/chu.html</A>

--------------284C819D9E24A19D9D8268B8--