USC President Steven Sample should be acknowledged for his announcement.
A few years ago, a prominent person, such as Sample would probably have
hidden their diagnosis from the public. I think  the efforts by the
Parkinson's community to increase awareness of Parkinson's disease has
made a difference, and this type of openess further increases the
public's understanding about PD.   I hope that the university will be
just as accepting of Pres. Sample if in the future he fiinds it dificult
to keep up his current work schedule of "16 hour days", but still wishes
to continue in his position as University president.
Linda

FROM:
 Los Angeles Times
December 8, 2001 Saturday  Home Edition
SECTION: California; Part 2; Page 3; Metro Desk

HEADLINE: Los Angeles;
President of USC Is Fighting Parkinson's Disease;
Health: Steven B. Sample is the latest in a series of prominent Americans
publicly acknowledge being diagnosed with the neurological disorder.

BYLINE: REBECCA TROUNSON, TIMES EDUCATION WRITER

   USC President Steven B. Sample has told his faculty that he has been
diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, but does not expect the condition to
affect
his tenure at the university or his ability to lead it.

   "It is an honor and a privilege for me to serve as president of this
wonderful institution," Sample, 61, said in a letter to USC faculty and
staff in
early September. "I have no intention of letting Parkinson's stand in the
way."

   With the disclosure, the USC president became the latest in a series
of
prominent Americans to go public with a diagnosis of Parkinson's, a
progressive
neurological condition that can cause tremors and loss of muscular
control.
Among those who have said they have the disease are actor Michael J. Fox,
the
Rev. Billy Graham and former U.S. Atty. Gen. Janet Reno, who is seeking
the
Democratic nomination in the Florida governor's race.

   Members of the USC community applauded Sample's decision to disclose
his
condition. They said his handling of the matter and apparently
undiminished
energy level had helped ease initial concerns.

   "I think a few of the faculty may have wondered initially what might
happen
and then realized once they saw him that nothing had changed," said
Joseph Aoun,
dean of the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. "He's still working
16-hour
days."

   Sample declined to comment further, saying his message to the faculty
conveyed what needed to be said.

   In the Sept. 11 letter, he said his doctors had told him he was in the
early
stages of the disease. He said he had not experienced any symptoms, apart
from a
tremor in his left hand, "which occasionally affects my drumming during
Latin
numbers." An accomplished drummer, Sample managed and played in several
bands
before studying engineering and then launching his academic career.

   Evidently seeking to assure the faculty of his continued stamina,
Sample
mentioned that he had recently returned from a 30-mile backpacking trip
near the
Grand Canyon.

   Since the announcement, his staff said, Sample has only increased his
typical
hectic pace, now adding the role of an author on a book tour to that of
the
active president of a major university. He is "working more than ever
now" as he
promotes his recently published book on leadership, said Martha Harris, a
senior
vice president at USC.

   Soon after Sample's announcement, the USC Academic Senate passed a
resolution
thanking him for his "forthright acknowledgment" of his condition and
expressing
confidence in his continued leadership.

   "He is very much admired for the great things that have happened at
the
university during his watch," said Academic Senate President Peter Nosco,
citing
a dramatic improvement in the quality of the USC undergraduate student
body and
major increases in the university's endowment.

   "He's entertaining at his house almost every night, promoting his book
and
doing everything else he usually does," said John Argue, chairman of
USC's board
of trustees. "He's fine."

   Parkinson's is believed to affect 1 million to 1.5 million people in
the
United States. It becomes increasingly common with age but typically
develops in
the 50s and 60s. There are no treatments known to stop or reverse the
disease,
but medication can control the symptoms.

GRAPHIC: PHOTO: Steven B. Sample says he has experienced no symptoms
other than
a tremor in his left hand. PHOTOGRAPHER: GARY FRIEDMAN / Los Angeles
Times