> phil,
> i am interested in learning more about this study, live in the dc area
> so travel is not a great problem.  However, i was recently diagnosed
> with msa. fortunately i am in the 25% who responds to parkinson's
> medication.  would i be elegablle for this study?
>
> thank you.
> cathy  52/dx pd 47/dx msa 52

Cathy,

Since we don't understand why it works for some people and not for
others, I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a shot. The key symptom we
are looking for is start hesitation and freezing. Since it is a cueing
device, if you respond to other external cues, such as, sounds,
caregiver touch, patterns on walls/floors, there is a good chance that
you will respond to the device. If you find it easier to lift your arms
when holding some kind of weight versus empty handed, then you might
also benefit from the device.

If you feel at times that you can't initiate movement because your
muscles are locked from fighting each other, this would be another good
sign. Also, inability to time movements is a symptom that might respond.

Characterizing patient symptoms that respond to the device is what the
study is all about.

Phil Gesotti 52/dx 46