Here is part of it, Mary:

WIRE: 12/09/2001 4:04 pm ET

Slate editor Michael Kinsley discloses that he has Parkinson's disease

The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) Journalist Michael Kinsley says he has had Parkinson's disease
for eight years but didn't go public with the revelation because he was in
denial.
"Denial means letting the disease affect your life as little as possible,"
Kinsley, the editor of the online magazine Slate, writes in Time magazine's
Dec. 10 edition. "In fact, it means pretending as best you can that you
don't even have it."

Kinsley, 50, says that only a few people knew his secret "but in the past
couple of years, it seems to me, the symptoms have become more evident."

Kinsley says he was offered the editorship of The New Yorker three years ago
but the offer was withdrawn after he told "the owner" that he had
Parkinson's.

"I chose to believe him that the Parkinson's didn't matter," Kinsley says.
"To withdraw the offer for that reason would be, among other things,
probably illegal. But I also doubt that he would have made the offer in the
first place had he known all along."

Conde Nast spokeswoman Maurie Perl said the publisher had no comment.

Kinsley, 50, is a former editor of The New Republic and has co-anchored
CNN's "Crossfire."

Parkinson's, which results from nerve-cell damage in the brain, causes
muscle tremors and stiffness and affects more than 1 million Americans. It
is incurable but not usually fatal.