On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:59:01 -0500 Perry Cohen <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Business Europe: Big Pharmaceuticals Take the Gloves Off
> By Stephen Pollard>
> 12/17/2001
> The Wall Street Journal Europe

Thanks Perry - this was an interesting and also disturbing article. The
pharmaceutical industry, as this article reports, seems to be blaming
European governemnts who institute  price controls on drug prices, for
driving up the cost of drugs in the U.S.  An industry represnetative is
quoted :
>" The crux of the matter is this. European governments demand severe
> discounts on pricing. With a base price of 100 in the U.S., the
> average French price for a drug, for example, is 42. With research
> and development funded by profit, the PhRMA companies argue that the
> Europeans are in effect after a free lunch -- access to innovation
> without having to pay for it."

--- It seems like the industry  might be hoping to take criticism off the
pharmaceutical companies and the high prices of medicines in the U.S.  by
trying to pit consumers from diferent countries against each other. This
type of "divide and conquer" mentality does not help any of  us. It  also
diverts attention from the fact that there is still no Medicare
prescription coverage and that many workers and  unemployed Americans
lack insurance for their medications, and must pay hundreds of dollars a
month for their meds, out of their pockets.

i remember hearing a very different interpretation on prescription drug
pricing last year at the Families USA confernence and dug up the handout
from a talk by Stephen Schondelmeyer, who teaches at the Un. of Minnesota
and directs the PRIME Institute (Pharmaceutical Research In Management &
Economics)

He suggested that the U.S. should also adopt price controls, such as the
European countries have done. Comparing drug prices among different
countries for 1999-2000, while prices increased close to 6%in the U.S.
they decreased from 4 - 6% among EU countries.

Comparing U.S. and U.K. prices for the same drugs - the costs in U.K.
were 40% less. Why?  They analyzed the expenses of the drug firms in both
country and found that "Nearly 2/3 of the U.S. -U.K. price difference
appears to be due to expenses in the U.S. for marketing, advertising and
administrative expenses."
So we, the  consumers are paying for all those drug commercials on T.V.,
ads in medical journals, freebies to doctors, etc.

The article also states:
" If pharma companies do  not find the EU "hospitable" -- for which read
profitable -- then
> there is nothing to force them to stay or, perhaps still more
importantly, to offer their latest treatments to European patients.  "

 -- Besides the ethical issues of  threatening to withold treatments from
the sick - wouldn't the drug companies loose even more money if they
don't market their new products throughout the world?

And as the article concludes - patient groups are becoming  organized and
would not stand for this type of mistreatment.

Any other reactions ?