--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Laura Eckart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:37:35 -0500
Subject: Defense Conference Report/ Good News

Today the House and Senate passed the Department of Defense Conference
Report.  We are pleased to report that the Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment
Research Program (NETRP) received $17 million dollars in funding, which
is a
$2 million dollar increase from last year!

> As you know, the NETRP is traditionally funded through the House and
not
> in the Senate. In past years, the program would be funded in the House
and
> that amount of funding would be divided in half in Conference. We are
very
> pleased we received $20 million in the House and no funding in the
Senate,
> and concluded with $17 million in the program.
>
> This is a big victory for the Parkinson's community especially given
that
> this program received zero dollars in the President's budget.  We would
> like to thank everyone who worked on this effort!
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Seasons Greetings.
>
> John Rogers and Laura Eckart

Background Information on Conference Reports:

Once the House and the Senate have passed their version of a bill, it
goes
to conference where they work out the differences contained in their
separate bills.  In conference, "Conferees" create one new bill that then
is
sent back to both bodies of Congress.  Then the " Conference Report" is
voted on for the final time.  Once that is done, the bill is sent to the
President for signature or veto.  It is expected that the President will
sign this bill.