On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:54:26 -0700 nkporter <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> NEW TOPIC
>
> Does anybody happen to know why it has become so hard to type?  My
> typing has been going slowly downhill for about four years, but it
seems as
> if the "slope got a lot steeper" during he last 6 months.
> I sense there is something more going on than a mere deterioration
> of  manual dexterity.  It appears to be more than letters missed due to

> a light touch and strings of letter repeatssssssss due to a retarded
> release, which are frequent.  I see it, to a more or lesser degree,
> on  many posts to this exchange, so I don't think my problem is
> especially  unique.

Nancy,
The repeating final letters, as you described was my first sympton of PD.
Looking back. it started many years before i was diagnosed - mostly
probelms repeating the letter "a" - especially words ending in a - would
end up like -- areaaaa. As you wrote probably due to retarded release of
the keys.
I  also find keyboarding getting difficult and slow. Adjusting the
keyboard sensitivity (i'm not sure if this is the correct term - its an
option on the Windows control panel) helps a little.

I asked the list recently about voice recognition software - the results
were split almost 50-50. some people found it very useful, others said it
never worked well. The programs some people liked included DragonDictate,
 Voice Xpress and ViaVoice. There are a number of versions for each and
prices vary.
Since then i also found a web site - CNet that has reviews of software
and other computer products. Go to:

http://www.cnet.com/software/
Search for "voice recognition"

Does anyonoe else have any suggestions or recommendations,
Linda