I am interested in finding out if Collagen injections into the vocal chords has gained any acceptance in helping increase voice volume.  It was supposed to last approx. 5 months.Four years ago this month I went out to Los Angeles [from the east coast] to have the injections from the UCLA doctor who pioneered then for use with PWP. [It was previously used on people with scar tissue.] At the time he was one of only two doctors  anywhere who gave them [ the other being a doctor at some HMO out in California, whom the UCLA guy had trained]. After first having gotten a test here to make sure I was not allergic to the substance, I flew out there.  The doc put a TV camera down my nose and showed me that injections would do me little good because my vocal chords were still fairly close  together.  And he said the volume of my voice was not that bad.

My voice is really bad now. I can communicate only with a small handheld computer and a fairly small and portable voice synthesizer, which really tax the patience of those around me. I also use a TTY machine for phone calls. I am seeing my MDS on Wednesday and I will ask him about these injections, but I wanted to see if anyone in this group had ever heard of this.  If it is still being done by just a small group of CA doctors, how good could it be?  I would sincerely appreciate any input anyone might have on this.
Thanks!
BBA
P.S. A number of weeks ago, months, I had asked the group for input on two subjects, DBS and my too rapid resting heart rate.  A number of knowledgeable people came thru on both topics.  Meanwhile I had been having some computer problems which resulted in my having to reformat my hard drive.  I lost all my old e-mails, and did not get the chance to privately thank those folks for their efforts, but I do so publically now.  You all provided me with some valuable advice. THANKS!!!  BBA