Hello and welcome,

On 25 Dec 2001, at 16:30, Emily and Julian Brinac wrote:

> [family?] doctor does not want to start my husband on levadopa or
> other drugs due to side effects for as long as my husband can
> manage without them.

You may find expert advice by consulting one of the members of the
Canadian Movement Disorders Group.  See www.cmdg.org.

As for which is worse, side effects or symptoms, for me over the last
12 years it has definitely been symptoms, and side effects have been
negligible to tolerable.  As years go by, side effects will have
increased potential for trouble.

Most patients and neurologists I know or have heard of (a most
unscientific sample) decided to use medication fairly early so as to
mask symptoms.

Also put into the equation the possibilities down the road of a DBS
surgical implant and of some of the many drugs now under development
being made available, some of which may offer improved or at least
additional choices.

Best wishes,

Phil Tompkins
Amherst MA