Articulately spoken!

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Lauer
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 7:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thriving,good news and middle of the night...

Joan: Yours was the first reaction to the original post I read and I
assumed
from your comments that Jan was indeed trying to (commercially) sell
something. After reading over the material on his site, it appears that
that
is not the case at all. He stresses that the mind will react to
internally
generated stimuli (placebos) and at least in his case, makes him feel
better.
So be it. If it works for him, let him not only have it but there's no
reason
why he shouldn't try to 'sell' it on the off chance that it can work for
others. This list has participants who run the gamut from happiness to
despair, from determination to resignation. This guy appears to be on
the
happiness/determination course and I endorse it wholeheartedly, which is
not
to say that I subscribe to his brain granting placebo theory but so
what.
There's an alternate group to ours called "PD Recoverers" to which I
also
belong which places faith in massage and acupuncture. Not for relief of
symptoms but toward PD wellness. There are those on that list who claim
they
are getting better. MY opinion is that it is another form of
placebo effect, but SO WHAT. There is plenty of time to be really sick
from
PD and contemplate DBS or need speech therapy, a wheelchair or a PD dog.
Lots
of time to take drugs against dementia and battle dystonia and
dyskenesia and
freezing and sleeplessness. If someone has worked out a defense for the
early
years of the disease which they understand is good for them, I say let
them
have it. And if they try to proselytize, let them do that as well. If
they
make any converts, those converts will either break even (getting no
positive
result) or win (with some sort of positive result, placebo stimulated).
There's no way to lose as nothing I read in the theology espoused would
increase the progression.

Paul H. Lauer

To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to:
mailto:[log in to unmask]