I have been asked by Emily and Michelle to expand upon a previous post. I
believe there are enough new members to do so on-list even though the
information is duplicative of that furnished previously.
So at the risk of boring some but with a view toward informing others, here
is the information which I have previously furnished to the list, culled from
the PIENET archives, an historical resource which all newcomers should learn
to use:
1. Re: GM1 Ganglioside
 <A HREF="http://parkinsn.coles.org.uk/Parkinsons/PARKINSNLog.nsf/c195194997949d2880256733002fd35a/75661b20fd8d65a4802569bd0002a819?OpenDocument">Re: GM1 ganglioside study from Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <
[log in to unmask]></A>

 <A HREF="http://parkinsn.coles.org.uk/Parkinsons/PARKINSNLog.nsf/c195194997949d2880256733002fd35a/7a8cff11bbbfb6f280256a8a00140b6a?OpenDocument">Re: GM1 Ganglioside study from Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <
</A>
Update since these posts: The edema mentioned in one of the posts persists
and I foolishly dropped out of the study 3 months ago thinking that the trial
medicine was causing the edema. It wasn't the cause (as it happens) and I'm
now reexamining my Requip as the culprit. That aside, I was told by the study
people that if I had applied now, I probably would not have been accepted
since my current disease status (aside from tremor) is not severe enough to
meet the acceptance criteria whereas it was at the time of my original
application leading to one of a few possibilities:
a. The drug was working
b. My regimen of vitamins and supplements, a combination of recommendations
by
my MDS (Dr. Stanley Fahn, Columbia Presbyterian, NYC), my Neuro (Dr.
Evangelos Xistris, Stamford, CT), and my own initiative, double checked with
one or the other above, is making a difference. This regimen includes 3000
i.u. vitamin E, 3200 mg Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, Stresstab, Selenium 200 mg,
Coenzyme Q10, 900 mg, and a cocktail of other stuff aimed at stiff joints,
flagging memory and getting old and (other than PD) decrepit.
c. The real possibility of the subjectiveness of the examinations giving
inaccurate results. I was told that evidence of cogwheeling, strong when I
entered the study was practically non existent and that my gait was better.
Hard things to judge since I was only Stage one when I began. I do know that
the micrographia has abated somewhat although the tremor has increased.

In any event, I'm sorry I left the study and attempted to rejoin but I had
burned a bridge too far by not taking the medication for three months.

My opinion hasn't changed. If you can afford and tolerate the travel; if you
can stick yourself with a needle twice a day religiously (this actually gets
easier over time) then apply for the study and if accepted, join it.

2. PDrecoverers
This is an alternative theory group who are trying a form of acupuncture
combined with massage (I hope I'm not oversimplifying) to effect a cure.
There is a belief that severe injuries to the foot in the past are at the
root of the PD but I''m a little fuzzy on this. There is a main proponent of
the theory named Janice who has written about the theory. If you join, ask
the list for someone to give you background information better than what I
have given here because if you only read the posts, you'll feel as if you've
arrived in the middle of the story. None of the foregoing is intended to be
light hearted or pejorative. This is a serious group of people with PD who
are trying an alternative method of coping and in the best case, curing.
The group can be joined by sending an Email to:

3. Bookmark the following site for a wealth of information including access
to the Archives:
 <A HREF="http://www.pdindex.org/">PD INDEX: A directory of Parkinson's disease information on the Internet</A>

I do tend to go on and on once wound up.

Paul H. Lauer