From: "Paul Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 5:47 AM
Subject: Miscellaneous answers for new members

> I have been asked by Emily and Michelle to expand upon a previous post. I
> believe there are enough new members to do so on-list even though the
> information is duplicative of that furnished previously.
> So at the risk of boring some but with a view toward informing others,
here
> is the information which I have previously furnished to the list, culled
from
> the PIENET archives, an historical resource which all newcomers should
learn
> to use:
> 1. Re: GM1 Ganglioside
>  <A
HREF="http://parkinsn.coles.org.uk/Parkinsons/PARKINSNLog.nsf/c195194997949d
2880256733002fd35a/75661b20fd8d65a4802569bd0002a819?OpenDocument">Re: GM1
ganglioside study from Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <
> [log in to unmask]></A>
>
>  <A
HREF="http://parkinsn.coles.org.uk/Parkinsons/PARKINSNLog.nsf/c195194997949d
2880256733002fd35a/7a8cff11bbbfb6f280256a8a00140b6a?OpenDocument">Re: GM1
Ganglioside study from Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <
> </A>
> Update since these posts: The edema mentioned in one of the posts persists
> and I foolishly dropped out of the study 3 months ago thinking that the
trial
> medicine was causing the edema. It wasn't the cause (as it happens) and
I'm
> now reexamining my Requip as the culprit. That aside, I was told by the
study
> people that if I had applied now, I probably would not have been accepted
> since my current disease status (aside from tremor) is not severe enough
> meet the acceptance criteria whereas it was at the time of my original
> application leading to one of a few possibilities:
> a. The drug was working
> b. My regimen of vitamins and supplements, a combination of
recommendations
> by
> my MDS (Dr. Stanley Fahn, Columbia Presbyterian, NYC), my Neuro (Dr.
> Evangelos Xistris, Stamford, CT), and my own initiative, double checked
with
> one or the other above, is making a difference. This regimen includes 3000
> i.u. vitamin E, 3200 mg Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, Stresstab, Selenium 200
mg,
> Coenzyme Q10, 900 mg, and a cocktail of other stuff aimed at stiff joints,
> flagging memory and getting old and (other than PD) decrepit.
> c. The real possibility of the subjectiveness of the examinations giving
> inaccurate results. I was told that evidence of cogwheeling, strong when I
> entered the study was practically non existent and that my gait was
better.
> Hard things to judge since I was only Stage one when I began. I do know
that
> the micrographia has abated somewhat although the tremor has increased.
>
> In any event, I'm sorry I left the study and attempted to rejoin but I had
> burned a bridge too far by not taking the medication for three months.
>
> My opinion hasn't changed. If you can afford and tolerate the travel; if
you
> can stick yourself with a needle twice a day religiously (this actually
gets
> easier over time) then apply for the study and if accepted, join it.
>
> 2. PDrecoverers
> This is an alternative theory group who are trying a form of acupuncture
> combined with massage (I hope I'm not oversimplifying) to effect a cure.
> There is a belief that severe injuries to the foot in the past are at the
> root of the PD but I''m a little fuzzy on this. There is a main proponent
of
> the theory named Janice who has written about the theory. If you join, ask
> the list for someone to give you background information better than what I
> have given here because if you only read the posts, you'll feel as if
you've
> arrived in the middle of the story. None of the foregoing is intended to
be
> light hearted or pejorative. This is a serious group of people with PD who
> are trying an alternative method of coping and in the best case, curing.
> The group can be joined by sending an Email to:
>
> 3. Bookmark the following site for a wealth of information including
> [...]
disease information on the Internet</A>

> I do tend to go on and on once wound up.
>
> Paul H. Lauer

mailto:[log in to unmask]