Thanks for the clarification Bob.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert A. Fink, M. D. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 1:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Low protein diet

Send reply to:          <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Mark Robbins" <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Parkinson's List Server" <[log in to unmask]>
Date sent:              Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:07:34 -0700

> Dear Bob,
> As I recall, Eldepryl is a MAO-B inhibitor and therefore would not
> have a problem with cheese or other substances with tyramine. You
> would be exactly correct if the patient was using a MAO-A inhibitor.
> Documentation for this can be found at http://www.deprenyl.net/

Mark,

I am aware of the differences between the two types of MAO
inhibitors.  Even though such difference exists, there are still
occasional interactions between Selegiline and cheeses containing
tyramine, red wine, etc.  Besides, we don't even know at this time
whether the patient is taking Selegiline or not.  And we also don't
know of any *other* drugs that the patient may be taking, either.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"