> From:                   Charles Countryman <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:                Low protein diet
> To:                     [log in to unmask]
>
> > various cheeses
>
> If you are on MAO inhibitors (like Eldepryl), the cheese could be the
> culprit.  Not the protein itself.
>
> Best,  Bob
=======

Well, I was looking around on the web for a list of more info on the "cheese effect"
and tyramine  and found some information I'll share.

"Deprenyl exhibits no significant "cheese effect" at therapeutic dosages, and only
minimal effects at extremely high dosages."

"Deprenyl exhibits no significant cheese effect"  to MOST  but COULD mildly to
others. We certainly are all different and some may be more sensitive to tyramine in
foods. I figured it's worth taking a closer look.

"Cheese effect" is a reaction caused by neural uptake of tyramine from
tyramine-containing foods like aged cheeses, certain wines, yeast, beans, chicken
liver and herring."

 [Charley didn't you say that at your family smorgasbord you indulged yourself in
pickled herring , various cheeses and  meats? ...yikes! ...]

There are some "tyramine-rich" foodstuffs, so it seems wise to advocate care with
regard to the dietary intake of foodstuffs likely to contain a high tyramine content.

If feeling especially poorly why not  consider putting some foods on the “no touch
list” or at least keep at moderation if you are taking Deprenyl / Selegiline / Eldepryl.

I found this list:

      Tyramine List - compiled from Archives of Biochemistry
             and Biophysics and the Mayo  Clinic Diet Manual

Avoid

            Alcoholic beverage (some, not all alcohol) -  red wine, "aged" wine,
                        Chianti wine and  tap beer.
                        [Domestic bottled or canned beer are considered safe when

                        consumed in moderation. ]

           Homemade yeast breads

           Crackers containing cheese

           Sour cream

           Bananas , Red plums , Avocados , Figs , Raisins

           Aged game

           Liver ,   Stored beef liver , Chicken livers

          Canned meats ,  aged or cured meats (e.g.,air-dried sausage); any
                    potentially  spoiled meat, poultry, or fish.

          Yeast extracts , nutmeg ,

          Sauerkraut ;  soy sauce and soy bean condiments

           Commercial meat extracts

            Salami

          Sausage

          * Aged cheese (including Blue, Boursault, Brick, Brie, Camemberter,
                       Cheddar, Colby, Emmentaler,  Gouda,  Mozzarella,  Parmesan,
                       Provolone, Romano, Roquefort, and Stilton)      * [on pizza too]

           Salted dried fish (herring, cod),   pickled herring and some smoked fish

           Italian broad beans ,  Green bean pods ,  Egg plant

            Yeast concentrates or products made with them

           Marmite

           Soup cubes

         Commercial gravies – anything with soy sauce, and any protein that has
                        not been stored properly or has some degree of spoilage
(i.e., all
                        but those that have been freshly prepared).

The tyramine list was found in the book, Breathe Well, Be Well, Robert Fried.

...and further snooping around the web I found:

* Concomitant prescription of serotonin-enhancing drugs should only be    undertaken
with caution for patients on selegiline.

 * Coprescription of sympathomimetic drug sshould also be avoided with the newer
MAOIs and patients should be advised against purchasing over-the-counter
preparations that may contain *sympathomimetic drugs.

* best not to take Selegiline at bedtime for a better sleep

Take care,
Gail Vass