In December we wrote up the attached call for papers for an edited volume
that would respond to exactly this exigency. This call would build on the
great work Janice is doing for writing centers and provide some up-to-date
reference that Rick could point to when the question of models of writing
instruction in Canada comes up. I've included it in the text of this
message. A link to the call is also on Roger's web site:
http://condor.depaul.edu/~rgraves/canada/compcanada.htm

We have in mind a deadline of Sept. 1, 2002 for manuscripts. We look forward
to your comments, queries, and (we hope) manuscripts.

Roger

--------------
Composition in Canada: Programs, Progress and Possibilities

Composition--broadly understood as instruction in a wide variety of writing
practices--is taught at Canadian universities and has been since the turn of
the century (Hubert, Graves). We also know it is taught in distinctly
different circumstances from writing instruction at colleges and
universities in the United States. This volume of work seeks to create
knowledge about the Canadian context of three kinds. First, we need to know
more about what the kinds and organization of instruction using information
provided by those teaching in the programs. Second, we need to know more
about the trajectories of this instruction: is demand growing, slowing, or
static? Finally, we need to imagine what this instruction could evolve into:
what are the possibilities?

What kinds of courses are included here?
A wide variety:
-one or two course sequences
-writing centers
-MA and PhD programs
-first-year writing sequences
-undergraduate major and minor programmes of study

Are you interested in online courses, too? Yes, all kinds of media,
including:
-traditional classroom experiences
-online learning
-face-to-face tutoring

What about courses in technical writing?        Institutional contexts could
include:
-writing centers
-continuing education courses
-education faculties
-engineering faculties
-communication departments
-English departments

We propose to create a "print-linked" volume similar in format to Coming of
Age: The Advanced Writing Curriculum (Portsmouth: Boynton/Cook, 2000) that
includes both a traditional print volume and a CD-ROM.

Projected Table of Contents (major sections):
Introduction
Descriptions of Programs
The Changing Face of Composition in Canada
What Could the Future Hold?
Annotated Bibliography

Submissions, Questions, Information:

Heather Graves
Associate Professor, Department of English, DePaul University
http://condor.depaul.edu/~hgraves

Roger Graves