Hi Rick

I call all the stuff related to mechanics--"Strategies for editing."  It is
usually at the final stages of a project that I introduce these features
(important but distracting). Talking about them as "strategies for editing"
helps to defuse the anxiety they generate, but I still get to teach them. I
usually divide them into two groups--the more deep structure stuff (syntax
for which some grammar is needed) and then surface structure stuff ( usage
etc).

As to writing programs, I think it depends on how "writing" is defined.

If you are talking undergraduate, academic writing then I would think about
Winnipeg, Carleton, St. Thomas, Calgary (Doug's program).  McGill would fit
in here too. Possibly Laurentian.

If you are talking professonal writing then I would think about Waterloo.

And then, of course, there are specialized writing programs for specific
disciplines--and there I would think about Toronto and Carleton's
engineering writing programs.

And then, of course, there are programs that study  writing. There your
program has had an impact as has UBC, Carleton and McGill. I suppose our
program has had impact as well.

And I have probably forgotten some programs who I hope will now chime in and
remind me.

But I don't think there is one program in Canada that does it all.  Some
well developed bits and pieces here and there.