Dear Carole,
As long as this is NOT a military hospital they must provide you reasonable
accommodations according to ADA for persons with disabilities.
The government isnt bound by ADA regulations and can do what it wants
basically.  If you havent come out of the closet so to speak with your
disability then you better do it now so you can get this accommodation in
order to continue to work.Make sure you have a doctor back you up on this
disability or have them medically retire you and take up volunteer work with
a paycheck from retirement. This is probably the easiest route. Does the
hospital have an EEO office.? That is the first stop. Next stop is to
interview an attorney that takes care of labor issues.Usually first consults
are free so call around first , gather your paperwork, and then go. If they
fire you without even trying to make an accommodation for your disability
without offerring you retirement then you should have good grounds to win a
lawsuit, but they dont come cheap. They are loaded with lots of stress and
that is something PWP's dont really need either. It is against the law to
offer a disabled person a job they can not perform so they must make an
accommodation. Again that doesnt apply to uncle sam.
THE BIGGEST THING IS  if  YOU DO NOT STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS THE EMPLOYER
WILL TAKE THEM AND SMILE.  So do it. You are protected by the ADA and equal
rights job discrimination laws.  They cant even harrass you about it or if
your fellow employees or your supervisor even make derogatory comments about
your disability You can have them fired by the next up in command for not
maintaining a  proper work enviroment according to ADA.Take notes from this
moment on about conversations,comments, actions, just everything pertaining.
You will need written "proof" with dates and times if you go after
them.Paper trails are a must with this stuff.
Remember ADA federal laws take precedent over all state and local laws
irregardless what your supervisor may or may not realize about it. His boss
probably does. Relax .You have protection from the law.   Good Luck .  Rob