Emily and Julian Brinac wrote:

> Kathrynne, since you are a dietician and I was as a care giver on your Web site, I wonder if you can help me understand  why my husband, just diagnosed with Parkinson is steadily losing weight. He is on the same diet as before, his bowel movements did not change, the only thing that is worring me is that his dominant hand  shaking appears to be worse. At the moment he is not on any drugs for PD as he is waiting to see a neurologist. Our family doctor seems surprised with his weight loss and did not offer anything to explore other than basic blood tests. Do you have any suggestion? Is he Parkinson Plus case? Thank you for your thoughts.
> Emily

Dear Emily,
Unintended weight loss is not uncommon in Parkinson's disease. There are
many possible reasons, and it may be necessary to figure out the cause
in order to deal with it. Some possible reasons for weight loss include
increased energy expenditure due to muscle rigidity, tremor, dyskinesia
or decreased efficiency of movement; difficulty chewing or swallowing,
slowed eating, choking; loss of the sense of smell and taste, appetite
loss, decreased intake of food; depression; and medication side effects.
As he is not yet taking medications, the cause lies elsewhere.

If his diet is the same as usual, and if you are sure he is eating the
same amount of food as before, then his energy expenditure has
increased. Would he be willing to eat small, nourishing snacks between
meals? I have clients who have successfully regained not only weight but
muscle mass by increasing snacks and walking daily.

The topic of weight loss has come up many times on "Ask the Dietitian."
If you have time, I suggest you search the archives, to see if any of
the questions and answers are helpful to your circumstances. Go to:
http://www.parkinson.org/

Click "Ask the Parkinson Dietitian" and follow the directions.

Also, many public libraries and PD support groups have lending copies of
"Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease." I would check out a copy
and read chapter 9 "Unplanned Weight Loss." In it I have a number of
suggestions that could be helpful for your husband.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/