NITA ANDRES wrote:

> My husband has lost about 40 lbs in a year to a year and half. Is this unusual PWPs? I have read all the books ( that I know about ) and found no reference. I cannot get enough calories into him and he does eat well. We have been to a nutritionist to no avail.
> He has no tremor at all. I have seen PWPs on TV ( M. ALi _ and he does not appear to be skinny. Any help out there?
>
> Nita Andres CG David 83

Dear Nita,
Unintended weight loss is very common among PWP, and the causes are
numerous. Your nutritionist and/or hospital's medical library should be
able to access an article I wrote last year, for help in assessing the
cause of your husband's weight loss, and planning a weight-regain diet
for him:

Unintentional Weight Loss and Its Management in Patients
with Parkinson's Disease. Nutrition In Clinical Care. V 4 No 3; 2001.

Some reasons are:
-Dysphagia, impaired tongue movement, jaw rigidity, swallowing
difficulty, choking
-slowed stomach emptying, acid reflux
-loss of the sense of smell/taste
-clinical depression, mood or thought disorders
-cognitive impairment
-fatigue
-loss of manual dexterity/slowed eating
-medication side effects
-increased serum insulin levels in levodopa users
-rigidity
-tremor, dyskinesias

The reason for his weight loss needs to be assessed, in order to
determine the best way of treating it. I would ask his neurologist for a
referral to a registered dietitian who is experienced in Parkinson's
disease, or at least in gerontological nutrition, and ask the RD to
locate the article mentioned above.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Ask the Parkinson Dietitian"
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/