Was at hospital before 7 am so I could catch his attending doctor.  He was not in good shape when I arrived -- seizing about 50% of the time as was obvious to me by his gaze to the left with eyes rapidly moving back and forth.  And, of course, you couldn't reach him verbally during those times.  Doctor finally saw for herself as did her supervising physician when he came in later.  Frequent petit mal seizures was the conclusion.  I also asked her how do I get a second opinion.  Then I just told them flat out how I felt about the neuro and not to worry because we will be finding a new one anyway.  Lady doc told me this isn't the first time they've heard that by any means and she told me about a new one in town.  We have a grand total of 3 (make that 2 and 1/2 IMHO).  Both docs now on my side, so to speak.  It's a shame to have to say that.  You would think that everyone would be working together for the good of the patient.  The supervising doc had Ted moved to ICU to try to monitor what is going on and they have ordered another CT scan for tonight.  Sup doc asked me to stay with our neuro at least for today so that he could order the transfer.  So I agreed but told them I'd had it with him.  Lady doc told me that I could speak to the Chief of Staff if I wanted a change in neuros.  I told them don't worry, I would if need be and I have the hospital's (and State of California's) own Advanced Directives handbook for my ammunition.  It says that we have the right to a physician who will clearly discuss with us and explain to us all treatment options and clearly communicate all medical conditions and expected outcomes, prognoses, etc. so that patients and their families can make informed decisions for themselves.

Ted is being slowly taken off dilantin.  They are loading him with Tegretol and Ativan in an attempt to break the seizures.  He is quite out of it right now due to the Ativan.  EEG outcome from yesterday is not yet known.  Lumbar puncture is negative for infection in the spinal/cerebral fluid.  His care in ICU is much better (that wouldn't take much . . . the Sisters of Mercy would all roll over in their graves if they could see what goes on in that Intermediate Care Unit!!!)  The care is about as intermediate as it gets.  Wonderful male nurse in ICU.  He brought me the meds order sheet and told me we had the right to refuse any of those meds.  I refused the Requip (his newest PD med and only now at .025 mg. anyway).  I refused the Remeron unless needed since the Ativan has him asleep most of the time so what's the point of that anyway.  Plus he is so tired from all the seizure activity.  I refused 200 mg/doses of Tasmar in favor of 100 mg doses.  And I told the nurse not to worry if he misses some of his Sinemet.  Nurse told me he wouldn't force Sinemet if Ted is sleeping.  He isn't active right now and every two hours is probably too much.  I asked Ted if any of his PD symptoms were bothering him and he said no and that it felt wonderful.  Dilantin has been cut by 1/3 to titrate down to zero.

Time will tell.  I also informed them that they might want to get his bowels moving ASAP or they could have another real issue on their hands.  They listened and his bowel sounds are flat (no movement).  That has been taken care of too.  And, of course, the Sup doc told me that they definitely won't be sending him home tomorrow.  So I can sleep much better tonight.

Not a bad 10 hours work for me, would you say?     :-)

Love to all and keep praying for them to uncover the problem . . . something is wrong and we need to know what it is in order to fight it.  I've told him about all who have called and messaged and sent their love and prayers.  Don't think much is registering right now though.

Carole