Kathrynne, since you are a dietician and I was as a care giver on your Web site, I wonder if you can help me understand  why my husband, just diagnosed with Parkinson is steadily losing weight. He is on the same diet as before, his bowel movements did not change, the only thing that is worring me is that his dominant hand  shaking appears to be worse. At the moment he is not on any drugs for PD as he is waiting to see a neurologist. Our family doctor seems surprised with his weight loss and did not offer anything to explore other than basic blood tests. Do you have any suggestion? Is he Parkinson Plus case? Thank you for your thoughts.
Emily
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 12:45 PM
  Subject: Re: BETTER NEWS!

  Mary Ann Ryan wrote:
  > Wow, Kathrynne, thanks for this very important info.  I've been following
  > Ted's progress but didn't have a clue as to what was going on.
  >
  > In severe cases of PD, anecdotal information is very important.  It is
  > critical for care givers on this list to take case reports about drug
  > information very seriously - we never know when our loved ones will be the
  > next victims of whatever drug reaction is being discussed.  As a nurse, I
  > know that it is impossible for all drug interactions to be reported in the
  > PDR.

  True, and also, I understand that physicians must weigh risks vs
  benefits when deciding on the best medication. However, Dilantin is
  among the medications listed by NPF and other sources as contraindicated
  for those with PD, and I always mention it whenever someone reports
  their PWP has been given Dilantin. Twice previously, the CG reported
  back to me that the individual was taken off Dilantin and subsequently
  improved.

  I know there may be times when Dilantin is the best possible solution,
  but I also believe there are health professionals who aren't aware of
  its possible effects on people with PD. This isn't surprising, as many
  health professionals see very few people with PD in the course of their
  careers, thus have little experience to draw upon. But it makes it
  doubly important to make this information more widely understood.

  Best,
  Kathrynne

  --
  Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
  "Ask the Parkinson Dietitian"
  Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
  "Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
  http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/