Well, good and not so good news.  I finally got in the neuro's face today about the dilantin and he is taking him off that tomorrow and starting tegretol (spelling?).  But he really didn't want to.  Not so good news is that he thinks Ted is doing so well and wants to discharge him Friday.  Meanwhile, Ted is a fall risk, confused, has conversations that make no sense and still having many seizures.  The seizure activity is apparent in his frequent blank stare and rapid movements of his eyes.
The doctor spends five minutes and just because he gets the right answers to a few questions thinks that is a thorough evaluation!  In fact, he didn't get the correct answers to just as many of his questions but chooses to overlook that.  He said, oh don't worry about the confusion, it's the seizures and the meds for that.  WELL, DUH.

So that is my venting for the night.  I am tired and discouraged about maybe not being able to go back to my job . . . and what if Ted falls???  I can't get him up.  This doctor won't listen to anyone.  It is difficult enough to deal with and fight all of this but then to have to fight the neuro on top of it all.

I intend to contact the hospital social worker tomorrow and try to go on record as stating that I consider this an unsafe discharge if he does go home Friday.  Any other suggestions?  I sure hope this med change works a miracle for him.  I will also try cutting back on some of his PD meds since he is not so active right now anyway and probably doesn't need as much.  In an ideal world, I could consult with his neuro about this.  However, I have been consulting with his neuro . . . so what's the point.  He thinks Comtan and Tasmar are exactly identical.  Wish we had another choice and I am going to see about going neuro-shopping out of town.  But everything else around here is smaller than us.  No neuros in sight.

Sorry for the length of this.  Hopefully, this story will have a happy ending.  Thanks for all your prayers.

Carole
spouse of Ted 54/46/40