Linda,

       I have been concerned about the vacancies in HHS, particularly the
vacancies in the NIH, for some time.  I think this is important to PWPs due
to the stem cell issues.  I would also think that Tommy Thompson, as the
Secretary of HHS, who has been burdened with the highly visible stem cell and
anthrax controversies, would spend long hours studying up on those medical
and scientific issues and learning how to function within the federal
administrative government.

        Interestingly he has spent almost every weekend, often long weekends,
in Wisconsin.  He has moved to Washington, but his wife has not.  His wife,
as well as his daughter and grandson, live in Madison, Wisconsin.  He is very
visible throughout the state, often getting media attention, favorable media
attention, for his comings and goings.  He has no time to study medical or
scientific issues or government policy. His wife gave a recent interview
where she said the most difficult thing for her husband in his new job was
that he could not set his own policy and had to follow the President's.

       It is probably good for us that he seems to rely upon WARF and the
other University of Wisconsin people for his information and positions re:
stem cells, but he is also the guy who thought he could tell the national
media--and us-- that there was a specific number of lines of existant stem
cell lines without verifying that number.  I think we have cause for great
concern that he is the Secretary of  HHS, particularly without a stong
supporting staff of medical and scientifc people.  I admit to my bias against
Secretary Thompson, but the lack of appropriate support personnel in HHS
could grind the administrative functions of that agency to a halt with a
resultant impact upon the progess of funding for stem cell research as well
as other issues even if  Secretary Thompson had a strong medical and
scientific background or was a good federal administrator.  Katie