I have been following some of the discussion on the Care List about Requip.  I stopped Ted's Requip after he got home from the hospital.  He was only at the lowest dosage .025 mg. t.i.d. which isn't even a therapeutic dose.  He had just started on it and so had not yet begun to titrate up to the therapeutic range.  The dopamine agonists have all been fairly problematic.  Permax caused too many mood changes (from cranky to crankier to crankiest!!!), Mirapex put him to sleep at the wheel once (fortunately I was in the car at the time).  So he was starting to try the Requip.  This seemed like a good time to quit everything possible for awhile.  So now he is only taking 6 Sinemet 25/100 a day and three Tasmar 200 mg.  And the dilantin and pepcid are out of his system by now too.  Neither of those agree well with dopamine therapy.  Overall, there is much improvement although when he wakes up in the wee hours of the morning, it is definitely a long and uncomfortable time until the first Sinemet at 6 a.m.  Physically, he is rapidly getting back to where he was.  He put on his clothes yesterday, got in the car and we went to McDonald's (just the drive-thru, of course).  Cognitively, there is still some difficulty with memory and confusion.  However, he is beginning to sleep and rest a lot more.  When he got home from the hospital he looked like he had been through  a war . . . poked, jabbed, bruised, scraped and exhausted from all of that, I'm sure.  Tegretol seems to have the seizures under control.  We go to see the neuro Friday and have an appointment with another neuro who specializes in PD on the 29th.  Thanks to all of you for your support, suggestions, and prayers.

Carole
spouse of Ted (54/46/40)
zip 96003