Bruce, the uvula is part of the soft palate [the back part of the roof
of the mouth] and helps it close off the nasal passage when we speak so
that the air comes out through the mouth and the voice does not have the
nasal quality of someone with a cleft palate. It also aids in swallowing
- closing off the nasopharynx to stop food going up into the nose.
If yours has suddenly changed its position and in texture, I would
definitely suggest getting a medical opinion - preferably from an ENT. I
assume that since you are using alternative communication aids, you have
had contact with a speech/language pathologist and have had a swallowing
assessment............?
Hope this helps,
Sylvia