In a message dated 1/19/02 9:20:59 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Now I am not certain if this clonazepam, would be safe to take from time
to time for such a long period, almost 6 months. >>

First, a footnote.  In looking over some of my own older research on the web
on the subject, I notice that clonazepam is called RIVOTRIL in Canada. It's
one of a class of drugs that are used for many different illnesses. Some
illnesses, like seizure disorders and agoraphobia, require long-term
continuous commitment.  Some uses, like " . . . for the short-term relief of
the symptoms of anxiety," only call the occasional single, or even half,
pill.  Any such relief, if it works quickly, becomes the best foundation for
milking a lot of placebo benefits from just carrying the pill along in one's
pocket--which is not too bad of an addiction.  No one questions your anxiety
level if you chose not to drive an auto around without a spare tire, but they
often don't understand the need at times for similar medical support.

Even MD's often don't recognize the need for mental medical relief.

Years ago, talk show host, Jack Parr, said to guest, Oscar Levant, who had a
lot of extraordinary personal concerns:
 "Oscar, it's all in you head."

Levant replied:
 "What a hell of a place to have it."

I think that six months is too long to wait for any help for this kind of
"wearing away" problem. I would ask my "family" doctor to do me a big favor
and discuss with any of his psychiatrist friends the appropriate care, given
your facts and concerns, pending the visit to the neuro.  He may prefer that
your husband visit the psychiatrist himself--O.K.,but, don't settle for a 5
month wait.

ed g