Linda,

       Geron did NOT end its licensing agreement with the University of
Wisconsin.  Geron and WARF, with the UW, settled their differences and
entered into a NEW licensing agreement.  My understanding, and hazy memory,
is that Geron gets control of three stem cell lines; that Geron gets
exclusive rights to use the stem cells lines for research and development for
 the regeneration of stem cells (hESor hESC) in three areas (neural,
diabetic, and heart cells) and nonexclusive rights in three other areas (one
of which is hepatic); and that public institutions are exempted from the
application of the agreement and are allowed to do research and development
in all areas despite the rights given to Geron under the agreement.

       This announcement, in regard to Geron and John Hopkins, has to do with
the use of human embryonic germ cells (hEG) for drug screening and/or
development.  The first patent Geron received in this area was in 2000 and
this is the third patent Geron has for germ cells (in contrast to the many
patents Geron has for stem cell development).  The researcher at John Hopkins
has isolated the hEG cells, and this patent apparently has to do with the
multiplication of these cells for use in drug development.  Geron has
primarily focused on research at the UW with the regeneration of the hES
cells; this is what has been in the news and which has been the subject of
federal funding, etc. This new patent, which involves the isolation and
subsequent use of hEG cells is very new to me.  I remember seeing a clip on
germ cell therapy in relation to possible (ground-breaking) treatment of
multiple sclerosis on a recent Jerry Lewis telethon, but I had no idea this
was being done by Geron and that this work could apply to PD.

       I find this very interesting--and very hopeful.  I have no idea what
the hEG cells are or what this article actually means in terms of the use of
these hEG cells, but it may be another bite at the apple.  We have the
possiblity of developments in the use of these hEG cells as well as the more
well-known hES cells.  Amazing how rapidly  this entire area is developing
and how much money Geron is poring into the development of uses--and a
potential cure/s for PD and other diseases--of the stem cells and these new
germ cells.   Katie