Sure sounds like a virus to me.  Don't open any attachments without first
checking with the sender; they may not even know their computer has sent it
out.  When in doubt, delete first and ask questions later.  And if your
computer runs something when you simply view the message, that's a sure sign
something's hinky.

Here's a link to McAfee's description of a similar-sounding virus I've been
receiving a lot recently:
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99199&

I'm only guessing at the actual virus you're all getting, but the McAfee
site (and others such as www.Norton.com) lists some of the most active
suspects and tells you how to identify them by what files they've left on
your computer.  It also tells you how to manually disinfect your machines.

These virus writers are like the morons who drive around smashing mailboxes
with baseball bats, only less athletic.  So keep your antivirus programs up
to date.  And hey... let's be careful out there.