Bruce,
I believe you are talking about your Epiglotis (sp?).  Don't know what the
purpose of it really is......but my husband had his removed as well as soft
palate "tightened" along with some other more involved surgery for some sleep
apnea related problems.

Certainly the deterioration of tissue needs to be looked at by an ENT (ear
nose throat)  ......but if it has to be removed.......you will still swallow,
breathe and chew with no more (and possibly less) difficulty than you have
now.

Rita Weeks  57/11